There are 9 products.
New product -25%
Showing 1-9 of 9 item(s)
Constitution of a MTB headset:
A MTB headset consists of a stopper assembled on the fork tube, cups assembled in the MTB frame, two bearings, an upper stopper, spacers, a stem cup and a star fixed in the fork tube.
The assembly of a MTB headset requires an Allen key set and an extractor for cups and a mounting tool in the case of a headset provided with external cups and a tube for the assembly of the lower stop. A workshop stand is also necessary in order to fix the frame during disassembly. For a headset screwed onto the fork tube, two flat keys will also be required.
1. MTB headset standard headset (stem attached to the fork tube)
- Loosen the fixing screws of the stem on the fork tube
- Unscrew and remove the stem cover
- Unassemble the stem
- Remove the fork tube from the frame tube
- Remove the bearings and spacers from the headset
- remove the lower MTB headset stop from the fork tube
- Remove the cups from the frame in the case of external cups
- Put the lower stop of the MTB headset on the fork tube
- Assemble the cups in the frame tube, using the tool provided for this purpose
- Put and grease the lower bearing on the fork tube on the stopper
- Assemble the fork in the frame tube
- Put and grease the upper bearing in the upper cup
- Assemble the upper stop of the MTB headset
- Assemble the spacers on the fork tube
- Put the stem on the fork tube
- Put and hand tighten the stem cover
- Adjust the headset so that there is no more movement in the frame and the fork can turn freely
- Put the stem in the wheel direction
- Torque tighten the stem fixing screws on the fork tube
2. MTB headset screwed onto the fork tube (stem fixed in the fork tube)
- Unscrew the fixing screw and remove the stem from the fork
- Loosen and remove the headset nuts screwed onto the fork tube
- Remove the fork and the lower bearing from the frame tube
- Remove the stop from the for tube
- Remove the upper bearing from its cup
- Remove the cups from the frame tube using the tool provided for this purpose
- Assemble the lower stop on the fork tube
- Put and assemble the cups using the tool in the frame's tube
- Place and grease the lower bearing on the fork stop
- Assemble the fork tube in the frame tube
- Position and grease the upper bearing in the upper cup of the MTB headset
- Hand tighten nuts
- Adjust the headset to remove the movements and allow the fork tube to rotate freely in the frame tube
- Place the stem pivot in the fork tube
- Assemble the stem the wheel direction and torque tighten its fixing
There are many configurations and several diameters possible. When choosing an MTB headset it is necessary to determine
- mounting type: headset or pivot bracket
- the inside diameter of the upper and lower headtube of the frame
- the diameter of the outer fork tube in the lower and upper part (there are conical tubes)
- the type of bearing mounting: external, semi-integrated or integrated
- the type of bearing: ball, cartridge, ...
For use in mountain biking we recommend using a waterproof headset.
We offer many additional components to an MTB headset: stem caps, spacers and stars ...
The biggest specialist brands are proposed such as Cane Creek, Dia compe, Ritchey, Stronglight, FSA, Neco, VP Components, ...